The original settlement was called "Possum Bluff," and was purchased by Pierre LAVINE from Bill Morrison, with a team of oxen in 1886. There is a Texas Historical Marker erected in 1967 on Highway 12 near the Texas / Louisiana border stating this information.
Pete TESSIER-LAVIGNE and Martha Ann Lefleur
Ruth Alice Allen, East Texas Lumber Workers: An Economic and Social Picture, 1870–1950 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1961). Newton County Historical Commission, Glimpses of Newton County History (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1982). Josephine Cochrum Peavy, A History of Newton County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942).